Thursday, February 8, 2018

Week 3A



Social media has changed a lot about the relationship between companies and consumers.  One of those things is outlined well in chapter one of Likeable Social Media by Dave Kerpen.  He says that companies can no longer afford to ignore their customers because of how easily their customer's experiences can become topics of public conversation.  I have personal experience with this type of situation.  Some friends and I had decided to try out a new local restaurant but were deeply disappointed in the service.  The food was great but the quality of the service was so poor we decided that we'd never go back.  I wrote a facebook post about our experience that night, tagging the restaurant in my post (mostly so that my friends and family would know what restaurant to avoid and not so much to catch the establishments attention.  Much to my surprise, however, the restaurant responded with an apology and an offer to discount my next meal if I felt willing to give them another shot.  Well, I did.  And the service was much better my upon my second visit.

Not only did I feel heard and cared for by a business that I had assumed would simply ignore me, but their performance actually improved.  I wrote them a very nice review after my second visit.  And that is a fantastic example of why it is important to listen to customers on social media.  The discussion and the buzz is something that you want to remain a part of in a positive way and that takes work.  Listening and responding.

I think that as a business owner it is important to listen first and take in information.  Knowing what is important to your customers can help you make better plans for the future of your business.  When customers are pleased and receiving what they want they talk to or share with other potential customers and your customer base grows (or has more opportunity to anyway). 

When negative comments are made on social media I think the same thing applies.  Listen first.  I think that I would try to put myself in the customers position (and because all of us are also consumers, its not that hard to remember having been upset or disappointed with customers service at some point).  I would try to think: What would I want if I were in this position?  How would I hope to be dealt with?  I would also try not to respond impulsively.

Social media, in a way, levels the playing field a bit for consumers and pulls companies down into the conversation.  I find this exciting.  The relationship between companies and consumers is much more involved through social media.




Image from: https://skolmarketing.com/workshops/social-media-overview-business-strategy/

3 comments:

  1. I love how you tied in the quote from the book into your post. I think that is a really good idea! I agree with you that it is important to listen first and take in information. It helps your business grow by listening to customers opinions and feedback. I also agree with you about putting yourself in the customer's shoes. Look at it from the customers standpoint and treat them the way you would want to be treated. I think you wrote a great blog post about this. I agreed with everything you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is super important for a business to listen to their customers. I think that is pretty cool that the restaurant listened to the issue you had and contacted you to try to remedy the situation. I feel that type of care is a great policy and it shows how much they care for their customers which in turn promotes more business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very great post because as Blair said, you tied in the book. Social media definitely forced companies to pay attention to consumers. They get a first hand look at things that may need to be changed. Both companies and consumers benefit greatly from the use of social media, and I also find it exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 A

Google Analytics So my facebook page does not have enough likes to review the data.  Thats ok, its a pretend business anyway.  Instead I...